Secret Weapon Against Calluses
Anyone who has spent a lot of time on the bar (not to be confused with being AT the bar) knows what it’s like to build up a callus and have it tear mid workout. Once you have a hand tear, there aren't many effective solutions beyond taping it up and trying to avoid further damage. The most effective treatment against calluses is prevention - you need to shave those calluses down when you feel them getting rough and brittle. Traditionally people have shaved them down with a flat razor as seen in this video that we found.
The idea of actually shaving them off never really appealed to me. I immediately get the visual of grating cheese or peeling a potato every time I think about it. It's one of those things that makes my teeth hurt (yes, I'm weird).
Luckily, Coach DBJ turned me onto a different method of taking care of callous’. Behold the Emjoi Micro-Pedi Callus Remover!
Sand Your Way To Success
With this product, you sand down your hands instead of shaving them. It gives you much more control than a razor and lets you buff those calluses down to a precise comfortable level. By shaving my hands once every couple of weeks (more if necessary), I was able to stop my hands from turning back into the bloody mess they had become in the picture on the left.
A Few Tips
1. Shave your calluses every couple of weeks until they get smooth and hard
2. Shave more often if those calluses start feeling really rough
3. Don't shave down too far. If you shave past the callus you'll shave away good skin and leave your hand raw
4. Never shave a callus that's already torn or is watery underneath the skin. You just need to let those heal - shaving will only make it worse.
5. Lay off the chalk or use it very sparingly - chalk dries out your hands and makes the calluses prone to ripping. If you look like Scarface when you come off the pull up bar, you're doing it wrong.
You can buy your own Emjoi shaver here.
We hope this helps in your war against calluses. We don't have any commercial relationship with Emjoi - we just love the product. Do you have any of your own tips for fighting calluses? Post them in the comments below!